Splunk Search

Timechart a dataset of weekly averages

aohls
Contributor

I have a dataset with some data points from a report I made; week end date(MM/DD/YYYY), host, user action, and average response time are the data-points. We have a large dataset so the run time is pretty long and we wanted to get rid of some noise and get a smoother line; really only looking for long term trends also. The idea was to average it out weekly into a data-set then graph the dataset. I am having some trouble getting the timechart to work with only using dataset data. Has anyone run into something like this? Run time is important as it will be housed in a dynamic dashboard with some selections.

In short can I timechart from only the dataset with weekly averages? Is there a better way to do this?

| lookup systemOverview.csv hostName as hostName OUTPUT _time as OVTime, component as component, WeekAvg as WeekAvg, Name AS Name
  | timechart values(WeekAvg) by hostName 
0 Karma
1 Solution

aohls
Contributor

I was able to get the output I needed. Over thinking this but the following worked.

| inputlookup "systemVitals.csv"

I could then use the data I needed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

|inputlookup systemOverview.csv
| sort 0 - _time
| timechart avg(WeekAvg) BY hostName 
0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

I was able to get the output I needed. Over thinking this but the following worked.

| inputlookup "systemVitals.csv"

I could then use the data I needed.

0 Karma

nyc_jason
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hello aohls, can you post your SPL? are you specifying 'span=1w' in your timechart?

0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

@jschogel I have added my search I am attempting, not the original search into the dataset. I did not specify the span in my timechart I was trying. I will give that a shot.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...