Splunk Search

Time periods for query and alert

alekseisaiko
Path Finder

Hi there!
I'm running this query index="staging" |eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eval raw_len_gb = raw_len/1024/1024/1024 | stats sum(raw_len_gb) as GB by kubernetes_namespace | where GB > 0.5
When I'm running this query in "Search", I choose "For the last 24 hours".
I want to save this query as alert, and the alert will run let's say once a hour.
The question is - will it run this query like I run it in search (last 24 hours)? Or I need to specify it inside a query (last 24 hours)?

Thanks,

Aleksei

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
Champion

Once you run the search for last 24 hours and save it as an alert. Then alert runs search for for last 24 hours. You don't need to specify earliest and latest in search query.

You can also check Time Range in Edit Alert page.

Alert configuration in savedsearches.conf are stored as below:

[alert_name]
search = <search_query>
dispatch.earliest_time = -24h@h
dispatch.latest_time = now

View solution in original post

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Once you run the search for last 24 hours and save it as an alert. Then alert runs search for for last 24 hours. You don't need to specify earliest and latest in search query.

You can also check Time Range in Edit Alert page.

Alert configuration in savedsearches.conf are stored as below:

[alert_name]
search = <search_query>
dispatch.earliest_time = -24h@h
dispatch.latest_time = now
0 Karma

alekseisaiko
Path Finder

Thanks,

And what i I will add earliest=-24h to the query as well? It will always run the query and give results for the last 24 hours?

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Yes. Query will run for last 24 hours irrespective of Time Range set.

0 Karma

alekseisaiko
Path Finder

Got it, thanks a lot for your answer!

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

you're welcome.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...