Splunk Search

The output of the tstats command won't work for trellis charts, only stats... why?

murdermostfowl

I really like the trellis feature for bar charts. It works great when I work from datamodels and use stats. However, when I use the tstats command to get better performance, even though the data appears be be exactly the same in the statistics tab, it does not render properly in Visualizations unless you redundantly pass it through stats:

| tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic.All_Traffic" where All_Traffic.dest_port=22 by All_Traffic.dvc, All_Traffic.action 
| rename All_Traffic.dvc as Device, All_Traffic.action AS Action 

This does not work. This, however does work:

tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic.All_Traffic" where All_Traffic.dest_port=22 by All_Traffic.dvc, All_Traffic.action 
    |  stats sum(count) by Device, Action

( Then apply the visualization bar (or column) chart, independent scale, trellis, split by Device. )

The data output is visually identical, but I get the strong feeling there is a hidden datatype that stats is outputting that I can't see. The visualization shows the data as an aggregation and gives no other choices, but when you apply the stats, it suddenly recognizes 3 different things to split by. Whatever this secret formatting method is, is there a faster/more direct function to properly convert the fields so that you don't have to do this redundant stats command?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will need to use prestats mode with tstats, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Tstats

| tstats prestats=true summariesonly=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic.All_Traffic" where All_Traffic.dest_port=22 by All_Traffic.dvc, All_Traffic.action 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will need to use prestats mode with tstats, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Tstats

| tstats prestats=true summariesonly=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic.All_Traffic" where All_Traffic.dest_port=22 by All_Traffic.dvc, All_Traffic.action 
0 Karma

murdermostfowl

Thank you, this worked!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...