Splunk Search

Summary / accelerate query counting disjoint indexed events

shawnce
Engager

I have a relatively large number of events being indexed and funneled into its own index based on source & source type (millions a week). This stream of events contains information about user activity in a product of ours and we desire to summarize user activity on a daily basis then build a dashboard that visualizes this summary information in various ways (often on longer timescales). We will likely utilize an accelerated search (prefer the simplicity) but may decide to use a summary search.

Note we are currently still using splunk 5.0.5.

The following is an example of a summary query that I am experimenting with and I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve it. It seems a little wrong to use if/match like I am.

index=myproduct build_type=prod (event_type="creating shape" OR event_type="Selecting tool" OR event_type="Undoing shape" OR event_type="Redoing shape") | eval DrawEvent=if(match(event_type,"creating shape"),"1","0") | eval ToolEvent=if(match(event_type,"Selecting tool"),"1","0") | eval UndoEvent=if(match(event_type,"Undoing shape"),"1","0") | eval RedoEvent=if(match(event_type,"Redoing shape"),"1","0") | bucket _time span=1day | stats sum(DrawEvent) AS UserDrawCount sum(ToolEvent) AS UserToolCount sum(UndoEvent) AS UserUndoCount sum(RedoEvent) AS UserRedoCount by _time,logged_user_id

...which produces a table like the following...

_time   logged_user_id  UserDrawCount   UserToolCount   UserUndoCount   UserRedoCount
1   3/16/14 12:00:00.000 AM AAAAA   59  7   0   0
2   3/16/14 12:00:00.000 AM BBBBBB  135 35  42  2
3   3/16/14 12:00:00.000 AM CCCCC   139 3   0   0
4   3/16/14 12:00:00.000 AM DDDDD   895 65  54  1

Note in a future version of the product we are reworking the naming conventions used to allow for a wildcard to be used in the search (instead of such specific text) to narrow down the event stream to a family of user actions we wish to summarize in the same query.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All in all - yeah, seems reasonable to me.

Consider moving the categorizing-eval-chain out into a macro for easy reuse and maintenance.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All in all - yeah, seems reasonable to me.

Consider moving the categorizing-eval-chain out into a macro for easy reuse and maintenance.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could merge the match into the stats like this:

... | stats count(eval(match(event_type, "creating shape"))) as UserDrawCount ...

But that's not necessarily better to read and maintain. From a performance point of view it's not going to matter much.

0 Karma

shawnce
Engager

Basically is searching on event_type to narrow the number of events looked at followed by using eval=if(match(...) to tally each event_type matched, then bucketing by day, then summarizing using stats makes sense... or does a better way exist to do the daily summary not using the eval=if(match(..)) stuff but maybe features of stats more directly?

Again it needs to be grouped by day and logged in user.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, feeding that into a summary index will give you great long-term statistics performance.

0 Karma

shawnce
Engager

I am basically looking to see if what I am doing about is reasonable or if a better way exists.

I have a stream of events like the following coming in from users using our app...

logged_user_id="AAAAA" event_type="creating shape" ...
logged_user_id="BBBBBB" event_type="Selecting tool" ...
logged_user_id="AAAAA" event_type="creating shape" ...
logged_user_id="CCCCC" event_type="Redoing shape" ...

I want to summarize this into a daily tally of each type of event by user, so turning multiple events into a single event for each user on each day. This will then be used to feed sub searches.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe it's just me, but what is your question?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...