Splunk Search

Splunk search REST API - Is there a way to search searches containing white space without error?

splunkmagu
Explorer

Hi,

I'm using splunk web to check some searches/alerts:

1. | rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/ splunk_server=local | table title <-- displays a list of saved searches

then I pick one from the list and launch:

2. rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/alert_without_white_spaces splunk_server=local. <-- and it works

But when querying for a differently named alert I get an error:

3. rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/alert with white spaces splunk_server=local. <-- does not work
- error message: Error in 'rest' command: Invalid argument: '-'

3a) rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/'alert with white spaces' splunk_server=local.   <-- does not work
- error message: Error in 'rest' command: Invalid argument: '-'

3b) rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/"alert with white spaces" splunk_server=local.   <-- does not work
- error message:

3d) rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/alert\ with\ white\ spaces splunk_server=local. 
- error message: Error in 'rest' command: Invalid argument: '-\'

3e) | eval alert1="alert with white spaces" 
        | rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches/alert1
- error message (splunk didn't use the variable value but the variable name)

Is there a way to use variables or to query for a search name containing white spaces without getting an error ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Most probably, it needs to be urlencoded.

You can do it "by hand" or use https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4146

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Most probably, it needs to be urlencoded.

You can do it "by hand" or use https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4146

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...