Splunk Search

Splunk script to update VA report weekly using lookup file

aferns0804
Engager

I am running a search job to view Vulnerability results/data. The search runs every week Saturday evening.  

I want to dump the results into a lookup file which will run automatically every saturday and it should replaced the previous weeks  report with new updated results. (Lookup needs to be same) 

For eg 20th March 2021 lookup file should be automatically replaced by results from 27th 2021 march search.

I don't need the old report(20th march) data since it will be outdated and will consume space on my server. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aferns0804 

If your report is relatively small then go with CSV lookups and following example query would help to create  assuming the search job user having enough rights to run outputlook.

<your query> | fields field1, field2, field3, field4... |  outputlookup <your_saturday_report>.csv

You can read more about it here - About lookups - Splunk Documentation

-----------------------------------------------------

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aferns0804 

Please try this instead of fields command use table.

<your query> | table field1, field2, field3, field4... |  outputlookup <your_saturday_report>.csv

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aferns0804 

If your report is relatively small then go with CSV lookups and following example query would help to create  assuming the search job user having enough rights to run outputlook.

<your query> | fields field1, field2, field3, field4... |  outputlookup <your_saturday_report>.csv

You can read more about it here - About lookups - Splunk Documentation

Tags (2)
0 Karma

aferns0804
Engager

Done, thanks but it is also exporting _raw  and _time events to the outputlookup file. 

I m not sure it is doing that. I don't want _raw events in my outputlookup file

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...