Splunk Search

Splunk query returns statistics but no events

doffner
Engager

Hi,

New to Splunk so I must be missing something obvious. I looked through previous questions and the docs but didn't see anything about this problem.

I have a Splunk query which is correctly returning the statistic I am expecting but has Events(0) even when Verbose Mode is enabled. 

index=* // search redacted 
|rex "(?P<json>{.+})" 
|table json 
|spath input=json
|stats sum(Response.Selected)

When I execute this query from Splunk Search (Web UI) I am getting the correct sum under the "Statistics" tab but the "Events" tab is (0). 

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi, @doffner,

stats is a transforming command which means the command "transforms" the specified cell values for each event into numerical values for statistical purposes. Raw events are not available once you run stats. But if you still need events you can use eventstats command.

Check this page on stats and eventstats command https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/search-command-stats-eventstats-and-streamstats-2.....

View solution in original post

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi, @doffner,

stats is a transforming command which means the command "transforms" the specified cell values for each event into numerical values for statistical purposes. Raw events are not available once you run stats. But if you still need events you can use eventstats command.

Check this page on stats and eventstats command https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/search-command-stats-eventstats-and-streamstats-2.....

doffner
Engager

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...