Splunk Search

Splunk perfmon disk io search

tkerr1357
Path Finder

Hello all,

Looking for some help with a perfmon search. 

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk"  instance=_total

| timechart sum(Disk_Transfers/sec) span=90s

This gives me all the IO of the hosts, but it only seems accurate if I chart it to 90s span, which is how often it queries. If I change that then the sum obviously just puts all the values together.

What I want to do is show longer periods of time, but still have it counting the sum of each reading (like a bucket) over time and not adding all numbers over the whole period (span) together. I want to force it to always use the time as the bucket. Any help is much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@tkerr1357 

If your perfmon input interval is 90 seconds, then Disk_Transfers = 90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec'. You can displayed corrected Disk_Transfers/sec and Disk_Transfers values for any time span using this:

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" instance=_total
| timechart fixedrange=f minspan=90s per_second(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

If your interval is unknown, you can estimate it from data:

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" instance=_total
| streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host
| eval interval=_time-last_time
| where NOT isnull(interval)
| timechart fixedrange=f per_second(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

Note that your tails may not cover an entire span. E.g. If timechart chooses span=1h and your search time range is not snapped to the nearest hour with @h, then your first and last values will be skewed by missing data.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@tkerr1357 

If your perfmon input interval is 90 seconds, then Disk_Transfers = 90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec'. You can displayed corrected Disk_Transfers/sec and Disk_Transfers values for any time span using this:

| timechart fixedrange=f minspan=90s per_second(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

If your interval is unknown, you can estimate it from data:

| streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host
| eval interval=_time-last_time
| where NOT isnull(interval)
| timechart fixedrange=f per_second(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

Note that your tails may not cover an entire span. E.g. If timechart chooses span=1h and your search time range is not snapped to the nearest hour with @h, then your first and last values will be skewed by missing data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...