Splunk Search

Splunk perfmon disk io search

tkerr1357
Path Finder

Hello all,

Looking for some help with a perfmon search. 

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk"  instance=_total

| timechart sum(Disk_Transfers/sec) span=90s

This gives me all the IO of the hosts, but it only seems accurate if I chart it to 90s span, which is how often it queries. If I change that then the sum obviously just puts all the values together.

What I want to do is show longer periods of time, but still have it counting the sum of each reading (like a bucket) over time and not adding all numbers over the whole period (span) together. I want to force it to always use the time as the bucket. Any help is much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@tkerr1357 

If your perfmon input interval is 90 seconds, then Disk_Transfers = 90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec'. You can displayed corrected Disk_Transfers/sec and Disk_Transfers values for any time span using this:

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" instance=_total
| timechart fixedrange=f minspan=90s per_second(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

If your interval is unknown, you can estimate it from data:

index=perfmon host=myhost01s* sourcetype="PerfmonMk:LogicalDisk" instance=_total
| streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host
| eval interval=_time-last_time
| where NOT isnull(interval)
| timechart fixedrange=f per_second(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

Note that your tails may not cover an entire span. E.g. If timechart chooses span=1h and your search time range is not snapped to the nearest hour with @h, then your first and last values will be skewed by missing data.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@tkerr1357 

If your perfmon input interval is 90 seconds, then Disk_Transfers = 90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec'. You can displayed corrected Disk_Transfers/sec and Disk_Transfers values for any time span using this:

| timechart fixedrange=f minspan=90s per_second(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(90 * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

If your interval is unknown, you can estimate it from data:

| streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host
| eval interval=_time-last_time
| where NOT isnull(interval)
| timechart fixedrange=f per_second(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers/sec sum(eval(interval * 'Disk_Transfers/sec')) as Disk_Transfers by host

Note that your tails may not cover an entire span. E.g. If timechart chooses span=1h and your search time range is not snapped to the nearest hour with @h, then your first and last values will be skewed by missing data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...