Splunk Search

Splunk Query For Admin Who Unlocked Account

k45bryant

Hello All,

I created a query that looks for event 4767 (A user account was unlocked) and it returns the date/time of the event, the Administrator (Account_Name) who unlocked the account and the user who's account was unlocked. The problem is that it also lists the user's account under the "who unlocked the user" column. I think the query is pulling that information from the Target Account --> Account Name field. How do I exclude that from my results?

Here is my query:

index="wineventlog" EventCode=4767 user=$users$ | stats count by _time, Account_Name, user | fields - count | sort - _time
0 Karma
1 Solution

aromanauskas
Path Finder

Your answer is in the already extracted fields.

index="wineventlog" EventCode=4767 user=$users$ | stats count by _time, src_user, user | fields - count | sort - _time

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aromanauskas
Path Finder

Your answer is in the already extracted fields.

index="wineventlog" EventCode=4767 user=$users$ | stats count by _time, src_user, user | fields - count | sort - _time

0 Karma

k45bryant

That worked! Thank you soooo much. You ROCK!

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

can you share some sample events?

0 Karma

k45bryant

Are you asking for the results after I run my query? I am not sure what you mean by sample events. Can you clarify your question?

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

the data on which you are performing search

0 Karma

k45bryant

Sure. Here you go:

5/13/19
3:50:35.000 PM

05/13/2019 03:50:35 PM
LogName=Security
SourceName=Microsoft Windows security auditing.
EventCode=4767
EventType=0
Type=Information
ComputerName=x.com
TaskCategory=User Account Management
OpCode=Info
RecordNumber=xxx
Keywords=Audit Success
Message=A user account was unlocked.

Subject:
Security ID: xxx
Account Name: xx
Account Domain: LANS
Logon ID: xx

Target Account:
Security ID: xx
Account Name:xx
Account Domain: LANS
Collapse
host = xx source = WinEventLog:Security sourcetype = WinEventLog:Security src_user = xx user = xx

0 Karma

k45bryant

I am a newbie to splunk and have no idea how to apply regex to my query. Can you help me?

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

you will have to apply some regex to get the Account Name fields for user(based on target account name) and Admin (based on Subject Account Name)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...