Splunk Search

Sort the output of chart command

dpatiladobe
Explorer

I am trying to plot chart by ObjectName , Date by Duration. And wanted to sort them by Date desc and Duration desc. I am not able to get same.

some search .....| eval ObjectName=if(isnull(ObjectName), "Full_Processing_time",ObjectName) |eval Date=strftime(_time,"%d/%m/%y") | eval Duration=round(tonumber(Duration)/1000/60,2) | chart max(Duration) as D by ObjectName,Date | sort 0 D Date | fields - D Date

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First of all, you cannot sort by D because this is involved in a 2-dimensional matrix; you can only sort by the X-axis ( Date ) or Y-axis ( ObjectName ) field names (or both). In this case, you would like the the date sorting reversed so that the most recent is on the left instead of the right.
I have done this many times several different ways but I have decided to try something new this time.
Try adding this to the bottom of your existing search:

| fields ObjectName * [| makeresults 
| addinfo
| foreach info_*_time [ bin <<FIELD>> span=1d | eval <<FIELD>>=strftime(<<FIELD>>, "%m/%d/%Y") ]
| map search="|gentimes start=$info_min_time$ end=$info_max_time$"
| sort 0 - starttime
| fields starttime
| eval starttime = strftime(starttime, "%m/%d/%Y")
| stats list(starttime) AS search
| nomv search]

Here is a run-anywhere example (try running for Last 7 Days😞

| tstats range(_time) AS Duration WHERE index="_*" AND sourcetype="*splunk*" BY sourcetype _time span=1d
| rename sourcetype AS ObjectName

| rename COMMENT AS "Everything above generates sample data; everything below is your solution."

| eval ObjectName=if(isnull(ObjectName), "Full_Processing_time",ObjectName) 
| eval Duration=round(tonumber(Duration)/1000/60,2)
| eval Date=strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y")
| chart limit=0 max(Duration) AS D BY ObjectName Date
| addinfo
| foreach info_*_time [ bin <<FIELD>> span=1d | eval <<FIELD>>=strftime(<<FIELD>>, "%m/%d/%Y") ]
| sort 0 - starttime
| fields starttime
| nomv search]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First of all, you cannot sort by D because this is involved in a 2-dimensional matrix; you can only sort by the X-axis ( Date ) or Y-axis ( ObjectName ) field names (or both). In this case, you would like the the date sorting reversed so that the most recent is on the left instead of the right.
I have done this many times several different ways but I have decided to try something new this time.
Try adding this to the bottom of your existing search:

| addinfo
| sort 0 - starttime
| fields starttime
| nomv search]

Here is a run-anywhere example (try running for Last 7 Days😞

| tstats range(_time) AS Duration WHERE index="_*" AND sourcetype="*splunk*" BY sourcetype _time span=1d

| rename COMMENT AS "Everything above generates sample data; everything below is your solution."

| addinfo
| sort 0 - starttime
| fields starttime
| nomv search]
0 Karma

dpatiladobe
Explorer

Thanks @woodcock , These is awesome. These sorts the Chart by Date desc, I want to add the Duration also to sort chart as desc order of duration. Is that possible ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, sorting by D is not possible and I mentioned this in the very first part of my answer, That field's data is now 2-dimensional and sorting in 2 dimensions has no meaning. Take a look at the output and think about it and you will see what I mean.

0 Karma

dpatiladobe
Explorer

Thanks I got it

0 Karma

dpatiladobe
Explorer

If i add | sort -D after the fields ObjectName * , it sorts according to Duration desc but then it goes and sort Date as asc

| addinfo
 | sort 0 - starttime
 | fields starttime
 | nomv search]
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Never use | sort without a number. EVER.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...