Splunk Search

How to sort column headers in timechart?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

I've got a timechart with several columns. The headers of these columns are numbers (0,1,2,3... etc) and I would like to sort the columns ascending. With the sort command it doesn't work, perhaps somebody can help me here 🙂

Thanks in advance

Heinz

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Fields can be "sorted" using the fields command.

your_search | fields col0 col1 col2 col3 col4 col5

Per http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextractio..., you may not have fields that begin with 0-9.

Field names cannot begin with 0-9 or _ . Leading underscores are reserved for Splunk Enterprise's internal variables.

=EDIT=

Based on your comment, I can say that they are sorted by numeral already, just that it is based on the beginning number. To do what you want, do this:

your_search | eval tt = case(X<10,"00".X,X<100,"0".X,1=1,X) | timechart count by tt

Add additional case statements for each increase in the tens place, and make sure the padding is correct.

View solution in original post

chakuttha
Explorer

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

CR

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Fields can be "sorted" using the fields command.

your_search | fields col0 col1 col2 col3 col4 col5

Per http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Knowledge/Createandmaintainsearch-timefieldextractio..., you may not have fields that begin with 0-9.

Field names cannot begin with 0-9 or _ . Leading underscores are reserved for Splunk Enterprise's internal variables.

=EDIT=

Based on your comment, I can say that they are sorted by numeral already, just that it is based on the beginning number. To do what you want, do this:

your_search | eval tt = case(X<10,"00".X,X<100,"0".X,1=1,X) | timechart count by tt

Add additional case statements for each increase in the tens place, and make sure the padding is correct.

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this has answered your question, please mark it accepted. Thanks!

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The "." is combining the string "0" with the value of X. The last pair makes sure that anything not matching in the case statement will assign the value of X to the field "tt", to make sure they are all there.

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

This seems to work fine, thanks!

To get sure, that I understand what I'm doing here:
Could you explain why are we using a "dot" in the the Y argument? And what's the use last pair "(1=1,X)?

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See edit above.

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

hi,

thanks for your answer. The headers are values of a field "X", which I create during my search. The command looks like this:

| timechart span=1d dc(user) by X

So it's not about sorting fields, but sorting the values of field X (which are the column headers in the shown chart).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...