Splunk Search

Simple extraction regex to parse out space seperated logs?

thisissplunk
Builder

I'm dealing with a highly customized access log that isn't being processed properly by access_combined sourcetype during indexing. Fields aren't being pulled out.

Is there a way to write a regex in search time extractions that will simply do something similar to a split(_raw," ")?

I CANNOT do something like because it's way too slow to rex out or split the entire data set (it's huge):

index=blah | rex field=_raw "(?<field1>.+)\s(?<field2>.+)\s | search field1=wowthiswasslow"

It needs to be streaming so that I can search like:

index=blah extracted_field1=thatwasfast
0 Karma
1 Solution

thisissplunk
Builder

Actually I was making this harder than it had to be. Just go to "Extract more fields" then choose "Delimiter" then choose Space as the delimiter.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

Actually I was making this harder than it had to be. Just go to "Extract more fields" then choose "Delimiter" then choose Space as the delimiter.

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Yup, that’s a better way to parse delimited fields long term.

I honestly can’t imagine splitting by spaces is going to work for web logs, though. What about useragents?

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

| eval allfields=_raw | makemv allfields

This may not work will for your specific use case, but it will split into as many values as it needs. delim defaults to , so I left it out of the command.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.3/SearchReference/Makemv

thisissplunk
Builder

Hmm ok, I'm looking for it now, but how do I search for something like allfields[0]=blah?

Found it: | eval field7=mvindex(allfields,7) | search field7=200

Still left wondering if this will be slow due to the extra | search

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...