Splunk Search

Sequencing Saved Searches

JovanMilosevic
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a saved search, which is currently scheduled, and creates a summary index. I have other saved searches that I want to schedule to run, which will use the summary events, but only after the first has finished, as otherwise, they wouldn't be running against all the records. The first search could take a long time to run, so it is difficult to know when to schedule the others.

Any ideas on the easiest way to achieve this (if there is one) ?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Hi,

Not tried this, just (potentially) food for thought...

Can you not control the searches externally from Splunk? - For example, if you have a script scheduled by the OS (e.g. cron on nix, and Scheduler on Windows), and then the script can run the first search and wait for a success before running the second through the CLI.

Ref for CLI saved search running: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/2378/running-a-saved-search-from-the-command-line-interface-cl...

Hope this helps

0 Karma

JovanMilosevic
Path Finder

Thanks for responding. My issue isn't really with kicking off a search, it's knowing when it's safe to do so - i.e. when the last one has finished.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...