Splunk Search

Sending emails using sendemail and map command not sending empty emails

assennikolov
Explorer

I have the following question regarding using the sendemail command together with the 'map' one.

Using the below search I managed to send the data to respective recipients based on the results, however, when there are no results no email is being sent.

| inputlookup 'email_addresses + name.csv'
|  map 
    [search index=test_index
    | search name="$name$" 
    | fields name title attributes
    | stats count(eval(case(attribute="A", 1))) as "Attribute A" count(eval(case(attribute="B", 1))) as "Attribure B" count by name title _time 
    | eval _time=strftime(_time, "%+")
    | appendpipe [stats count | where count=0 ]
    | sendemail bcc="$email_address$" subject="Table $name$ | _time" sendresults=true inline=true format=table 

lookup contains two columns: email_address and name
I tried different scenarios but using for example makeresults, appendpipe to insert dummy data in case no results are returned, but all caused a duplication of the email being sent, where the second email is missing the tokenization specified in the sendemail command.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @assennikolov,

Please try below;

| map 
    [ search index=test_index 
    | search name="$name$" 
    | stats count(eval(case(attribute="A", 1))) as "AttributeA" count(eval(case(attribute="B", 1))) as "AttribureB" count by name title _time 
    | inputlookup append=t 'email_addresses + name.csv' 
    | fillnull value="" _time, title 
    | stats max(AttributeA) as "Attribute A" max(AttribureB) as "Attribure B" max(count) as count by name title _time 
    | eventstats sum(count) as totalCount
    | where (totalCount>0 AND count>0) OR totalCount=0
    | fields - totalCount
    | sendemail bcc="$email_address$" subject="Table $name$ | _time" sendresults=true inline=true format=table
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @assennikolov,

Please try below;

| map 
    [ search index=test_index 
    | search name="$name$" 
    | stats count(eval(case(attribute="A", 1))) as "AttributeA" count(eval(case(attribute="B", 1))) as "AttribureB" count by name title _time 
    | stats max(AttributeA) as "Attribute A" max(AttribureB) as "Attribure B" max(count) as count by name title _time 
    | eventstats sum(count) as totalCount
    | where (totalCount>0 AND count>0) OR totalCount=0
    | fields - totalCount

assennikolov
Explorer

Thanks, @scelikok ,

It works like a charm.

0 Karma

assennikolov
Explorer

Hi @scelikok , 

Thank you for your swift reply.

The way the search is constructed always returns an additional line, which helps a lot in sending emails when there is no data. However, if I got one or more results this 'additional' line is still present. I tried to prettify it by replacing every value with "-" (fillnull). However, it looks something similar to the below table:

NameTitleTimeAttribute AAttribute BTotal Count
JohnVice PresidentWed Feb 2412324
Bob-----

Do you think there is a way I can get rid of the data containing dashes when there are actual results and sending only them to the respective users?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @assennikolov,

I couldn't test it but please try below;

|  map 
    [search index=test_index
    | search name="$name$" 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...