Splunk Search

Send Fields from Search to External Python Script to Update Lookup Table

wweiland
Contributor

I'm trying to send fields that I gather from a search command and send the results to a external python script. The script will then take those results and update a lookup table. I've gotten the python script working to take 3 arguments and update the csv file. I'm having problems getting the search command to output the information. I thought I was to use the script command, but I guess that is for something else. Has anyone else done this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wweiland
Contributor

I went ahead and got the savedsearch working. Now I can just do a ... | table blah1 blah2 blah3 | savedsearchcmd

I had to map the command in the local/commands.conf. The python script uses fileinput to find the text and replace it. Runs like a champ. Thanks again everyone.

Tricky part in python was trying to figure out how it delivered the information.

import splunk.Intersplunk

results = []

try:

results = splunk.Intersplunk.readResults(None, None, True)
for i in results:
    node = i.get('nodes')
    jobid = i.get('jobid')
    status = i.get('typeid')

except:

import traceback

stack = traceback.format_exc()

results = splunk.Intersplunk.generateErrorResults("Error : Traceback: " + str(stack))

View solution in original post

wweiland
Contributor

I went ahead and got the savedsearch working. Now I can just do a ... | table blah1 blah2 blah3 | savedsearchcmd

I had to map the command in the local/commands.conf. The python script uses fileinput to find the text and replace it. Runs like a champ. Thanks again everyone.

Tricky part in python was trying to figure out how it delivered the information.

import splunk.Intersplunk

results = []

try:

results = splunk.Intersplunk.readResults(None, None, True)
for i in results:
    node = i.get('nodes')
    jobid = i.get('jobid')
    status = i.get('typeid')

except:

import traceback

stack = traceback.format_exc()

results = splunk.Intersplunk.generateErrorResults("Error : Traceback: " + str(stack))

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Feel free to post your command's definition here if you like.

0 Karma

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

@wweiland, where are you bringing 'Intersplunk' from?
I could not find it either inside splunk sdk or splunklib libraries.

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

I'm not sure if this still works. This was from 2014 and I'm not in that environment anymore.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do that with native Splunk.

Load new data, append+inputlookup the existing lookup table, run stats by node or whatever you need to merge the two, pipe to outputlookup.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Take a look at the saved searches in the SoS app, they load stuff and store it in a lookup using outputlookup.

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

martin_mueller, do you possibly have any pointers on what you suggested?

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

New approach. I'll see if I can get that working as well. Thanks for your input.

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

I need something that will update lines in the table. I have a list of compute nodes and when jobs start the job id will be assigned to that node. When the job ends the node will be marked idle. The logs wont produce the states of each node at search time. I also thougt about trying to do a mysql connector, but trying to stick to native splunk if possible.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you considered updating the lookup table directly from the search using outputlookup?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/outputlookup

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

I added it to the commands.conf, but when I do a search | script.py it fails. Do I have to do the outputResults if I don't plan to return anything?

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

is the script working from search bar? then you need to add the script in commands.conf. Need to include

splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

for output.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/AdvancedDev/SearchScripts

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...