Splunk Search

Security Key in server.conf

nawazns5038
Builder

what is the diff between the security key in the clustering stanza and the key in the general stanza in server.conf ?

Should the same key be used for both the shcluster and the indexer cluster ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

so the server.conf general key is a unique key that get's generated on first startup. It will be "salted" with a server unique value. Don't use this one for clustering.

For indexer clustering you should use an identical passphrase on all servers.
Something like: "applepie" ... which then after a restart gets converted into a hash using the server unique "salt" again.

You can use a different one for SH-Cluster, but you don't have to.

The important part is that you don't copy the "hashed" value... you should manually set the cleartext password and then restart the system.

View solution in original post

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

so the server.conf general key is a unique key that get's generated on first startup. It will be "salted" with a server unique value. Don't use this one for clustering.

For indexer clustering you should use an identical passphrase on all servers.
Something like: "applepie" ... which then after a restart gets converted into a hash using the server unique "salt" again.

You can use a different one for SH-Cluster, but you don't have to.

The important part is that you don't copy the "hashed" value... you should manually set the cleartext password and then restart the system.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...