Splunk Search

Is there a way to search multiple lookup tables and do a stats count by X across all the tables within the same search?

deadbits
Explorer

I am having some trouble performing a search across multiple lookup tables. I have several csv's as lookup tables (let's say table1.csv, table2.csv, table3.csv), all of which have the same field names with different data. I am trying to get a trending view of this data over time - as each lookup table covers one week's worth of data.

Q: Is there a way to search multiple lookup tables and do a stats count by X across all the tables within the same search?

A search for an individual table works fine. for example: |inputlookup table2.csv | stats count by field1

a few of the searches I've tried are:
search one: [ | inputlookup table1.csv | stats count by field1 ] [ |inputlookup table2.csv | stats count by field1]
search two: |inputlookup table1.csv |inputlookup table2.csv | stats count by field1

Am I going about this the complete wrong way or is what I'm trying to do simply not possible? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For the question as asked, something like this might work for you:

| inputlookup table1.csv | inputlookup append=t table2.csv | inputlookup append=t table3.csv | stats count by field1

However, you probably want to differentiate between the lookups, which you could do by having a second field (lookup_name) like so:

| inputlookup table1.csv | inputlookup append=t table2.csv | inputlookup append=t table3.csv | stats count by field1 lookup_name

Depending on your use case you may want to use a time-based lookup combining all of the results.

View solution in original post

ksharma7
Path Finder

Say I have two lookup table1.csv and table2.csv and both has different fields. Now I want to include table1.csv but exclude results from msin search for column present on table 2.csv. how to do that

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ksharma7, This question is nearly 7 years old with an accepted answer. Please post a new question describing your problem.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For the question as asked, something like this might work for you:

| inputlookup table1.csv | inputlookup append=t table2.csv | inputlookup append=t table3.csv | stats count by field1

However, you probably want to differentiate between the lookups, which you could do by having a second field (lookup_name) like so:

| inputlookup table1.csv | inputlookup append=t table2.csv | inputlookup append=t table3.csv | stats count by field1 lookup_name

Depending on your use case you may want to use a time-based lookup combining all of the results.

asharma737

Hi @dart  @deadbits @ksharma7 @ipark_splunk 

1 Question:

whatever example you shared thats great and working but what about multiple lookups if i wanted to search , for example if i am having 20 lookups like table1.csv to table20.csv with different name , Actually we can do appending for each of one, need your help here.

2 Question:

whatever result we are receiving in that i wanted to add lookup name as well because my all lookups are having different name with different name.

Could you please help me on this ?

0 Karma

deadbits
Explorer

Awesome, thank you. I think the time-based lookup is what I'm looking for. I had some luck with the append=t flag as well. Thanks for your help! 😄

0 Karma

ipark_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks @dart this is awesome! How about this one:

| inputlookup table1.csv 
| append 
    [| inputlookup table2.csv]
    [| inputlookup table3.csv] 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...