Splunk Search

Searching for data around a time frame?

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello i am new

I have combined data from cyclogs,adserver logs and firewall logs

how can i search for data that happens +- 5mins from a message event?

for example, I have narrowed my search of data down with the message "search Message="Started FTP Client" but i need to know what happens +-5mins form this event as i would like to see the dest_Ip address in the firewall data and User login data from ADserver  i imagine they would be the same time stamp or very close 

Thank you 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

sourcetype IN (CorpSysLogs,Firewall,CorpADServer) [ | search (CorpSysLogs,Firewall,CorpADServer) Message="Started FTP Client" | head 1 | eval earliest=relative_time(_time,"-5m"), latest=relative_time(_time,"+5m") | fields earliest latest ]

I put it in but getting no results i am not sure i have done it correctly 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Chris231289,

I don't know the relationships between your data, but if your need is to have a time perior of + or - 5 minutes from the message Message="Started FTP Client", yu could use this approach:

<your_search> [ | search <your_search> Message="Started FTP Client" | head 1 | eval earliest=relative_time(_time,"-5m"), latest=relative_time(_time,"+5m") | fields earliest latest ]

in few words, using the subsearch you extract the borders or the time period relative to the event containing Message="Started FTP Client".

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

sourcetype IN (CorpSysLogs,Firewall,CorpADServer) [ | search (CorpSysLogs,Firewall,CorpADServer) Message="Started FTP Client" | head 1 | eval earliest=relative_time(_time,"-5m"), latest=relative_time(_time,"+5m") | fields earliest latest ]

I put it in but getting no results i am not sure i have done it correctly  😕

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Chris231289,

check the subsearch results:

(CorpSysLogs,Firewall,CorpADServer) Message="Started FTP Client" | head 1 | eval earliest=relative_time(_time,"-5m"), latest=relative_time(_time,"+5m")

you should have the time period for your main search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...