Splunk Search

Searching for an Event that occured before a Specific Event

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Windows does not provide an accurate user who performed an audit policy change on the system (EventCode 4719), it lists System versus the logged in user. I would like to identify EventCode=4719 as the primary event and then search for the closest EventCode=4624 prior to when EventCode=4719 occurred.

I have been checking the splunk community page and google to look for something that meets the need. I cannot seem to grasp this concept and would appreciate the help!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
-- your search including (EventCode=4719 OR EventCode=4624)
| streamstats window=2 earliest(EventCode) as previousEventCode earliest(_raw) as previousEvent 
| where EventCode = 4719 AND EventCode != previousEventCode 
| table previousEvent

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Appreciate the quick response to this! It did return some results but with a multi-machine environment (which I did not disclose) did not return what I was anticipating. I made some modifications and here is what I would like to see....

For each 4719 Event from 100's of machines

Hostname

Time of Event for 4719

Message from 4719

Time of Event for 4624

Message from 4624

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...