Splunk Search

Search with lookup and several fields to match

mcayrol
Explorer

Hi splunkers,

After several days to be block with an issue regarding lookup, I try to have a little help here,

Here is my problem, I have an asset which brings me alerts, sometime the same alert so I want to exclude the duplicates ones, for this, I create a lookup that save the research of my alert's query. This part work great, and after I want to exclude the event that is not matching ALL the field of the lookup.

So my lookup is like this : duplicate.csv

subject,source,dest,malware
null,null,null,null

The field of my search event has the SAME name that my lookup field.

Here is my query at the moment

index=xxxxxx
| search NOT [| lookup duplicate.csv subject AS source,dest AS dest,malware AS malware

| outputlookup append=true duplicate.csv

I don't know how to create the link between search field and lookup field because they share the same name.

And I don't now how I do to display the event ONLY if they match all the field in my lookup (4)

Thank for your help. This is a lovely community 🙂

Labels (2)

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try below and check if you get expected result. Once confirmed, you may add outputlookup

index=xxxxxx NOT [| inputlookup duplicate.csv]

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

mcayrol
Explorer

I've try but I got the same result as before

The search found me all the event and not exclude one

when I do index=xxxxxx NOT  lookup duplicate.csv

I got 0 event, all are exclude

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just to be sure , its inputlookup and not lookup -

can you try this and look at the job inspector for the search log. You should be able to see the final search it executes

index=xxxxxx NOT [| inputlookup duplicate.csv]

It should be converted to a search similar to

index=xxxxxx (NOT subject="subject value" OR source = "source value" OR dest ="dest value" OR malware="malware value") (NOT subject=".....)

and repeat for all the values inside the lookupfile

A run anywhere example would be

|makeresults|eval country="Aruba Angola China Japan"|makemv country|mvexpand country
|search NOT [|inputlookup geo_attr_countries where (country = "Aruba" OR country="Angola") |fields country]

Happy Splunking!

mcayrol
Explorer

Ohhh indeed it's Inputlookup, I just saw the differents in the documentation,

I run the search but since I have a lookup with 500 rows, the search in Job inspector is very huge and like you say, I see (NOT field3lookup ="randomrowfiled3lookup" OR NOT ...)

But despite this, nothing changes compare at the result of a basic "index=XXXX" search

I got the same numbers of rows.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...