Splunk Search

Search with a Variable

JuanAntunes
Explorer

Hi Team How are u?

I have a little question

I have a index with same informations, 

index="epo" source="endpoint"

In this search will return a column with "JustificationText", Which contains a ticket number

JuanAntunes_0-1619733392680.png

And with this number I need to search in another index to get some information

Today i'm doing this way:

index="epo" source="endpoint"​
| rex field="JustificationText" "(?<number>REQ\d{7}|<number>INC\d{7}|<number>TRE\d{7}|<number>CHG\d{7})"
| eval TicketNumber = number
| dedup ViolationLocalTime IncindetId
| join type=left
     [search index=servicenow sourcetype="snow:service_task" dv_number = TicketNumber]
| table Status ViolationLocalTime IncidentId UserName Name JustificationText TotalContentSize RulesToDisplay contact_type dv_u_requested_by dv_location

All the data from the first serach is coming ok but when I do a second search with the variable "TicketNumber" nothing returns to me.

If i for example, put a ticket in 

| join type=left
     [search index=servicenow sourcetype="snow:service_task" dv_number = "REQ0000197"]

Data are brought, but the same for all events

My question is how can I do this second search using a variable?

Thanks in advance! 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try something like this - join with a common field name  e.g. dv_number instead of TicketNumber

| rex field="JustificationText" "(?<number>REQ\d{7}|<number>INC\d{7}|<number>TRE\d{7}|<number>CHG\d{7})"
| eval dv_number = number
| join type=left dv_number 
     [search index=servicenow sourcetype="snow:service_task" ]
| table Status ViolationLocalTime IncidentId UserName Name JustificationText TotalContentSize RulesToDisplay contact_type dv_u_requested_by dv_location

JuanAntunes
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer  Thanks you for reply 

But running the query the way you told me still doesn't return anything

| eval dv_number = number

in the events that are found the tickets, we should have the columns of the NOW table, but it is always blank

JuanAntunes_1-1619777932449.png

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I can't see any reason why it would not work. Can you try a different way of forcing the join to return the same ticket for all events?

| eval dv_number = "REQ0000197"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...