Splunk Search

Search syntax for comparing events over 30-day timespan

sbattista09
Contributor

The purpose of the query is to identify those events that occurred after 10/14/2017 01:00:00 that had not occurred in the 30 days prior to 10/13/2017 22:00:00. Not sure how to display this, any ideas?

This is what i have to work with-

earliest=-30d@d latest=@m sourcetype=Apps (Hosted="A" OR Hosted="b" OR Hosted="c" OR Hosted="d" OR Hosted="e" OR Hosted="f" OR Hosted="g") AND sub_origin="*ONLINE*" AND (_time < strptime("2017-10-13 22:00", "%F %H:%M") OR _time > strptime("2017-10-14 01:00", "%F %H:%M"))
    | rex "msg\=\'(?<first22char>(.{22}))"  
    | eval older_than_X = if( _time < (strptime("2017-10-13 22:00", "%F %H:%M")),1,0)
    | stats max(older_than_X) as older_than_X, count by program_error, err_transaction, first22char  
    | search older_than_X=0
    | table count, program_error, err_transaction, first22char
    | rex mode=sed field="program_error" "s/\'//g" 
    | rex mode=sed field="err_transaction" "s/\'//g"
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

If I understand you correctly, you're looking to locate log events from the time window 9/13/2017 22:00:00 through 10/13/2017 22:00:00 and compare them to log events that have been generated since 10/14/2017 01:00:00. This comparison will involve looking at one or more specific fields in order to determine if the event in the more recent time window is a repeat-type event or a brand-new-type event.

(Given that your time windows are static, I used an online epoch timestamp converter to convert the timestamps - but I didn't know your time zone, so I left them in GMT. You'll want to find the correct timestamps for your timezone.)

My approach is to use a base search to search the larger time window (the earlier window) and add to these events a field called older_event, which I set to 1. This marks all the events from the earlier time window. I then append a subsearch across the more recent time window, giving us a set of events from the two windows. In order to determine if an event in the more recent window is a repeat of an older event (based on both events having the same value for a field called comparison_field), I use the eventstats command to extend the older_event marking to matching newer events - calling this field duplicate_event. I then filter down to only events that do not contain the field duplicate_event.

Here's the code:
index=yourindex earliest=1505340000 latest=1507932000 your search criteria | eval older_event=1 | append [ search index=yourindex earliest=1507942800 your search criteria] | eventstats max(older_event) AS duplicate_event BY comparison_field | where isnull(duplicate_event)

View solution in original post

elliotproebstel
Champion

If I understand you correctly, you're looking to locate log events from the time window 9/13/2017 22:00:00 through 10/13/2017 22:00:00 and compare them to log events that have been generated since 10/14/2017 01:00:00. This comparison will involve looking at one or more specific fields in order to determine if the event in the more recent time window is a repeat-type event or a brand-new-type event.

(Given that your time windows are static, I used an online epoch timestamp converter to convert the timestamps - but I didn't know your time zone, so I left them in GMT. You'll want to find the correct timestamps for your timezone.)

My approach is to use a base search to search the larger time window (the earlier window) and add to these events a field called older_event, which I set to 1. This marks all the events from the earlier time window. I then append a subsearch across the more recent time window, giving us a set of events from the two windows. In order to determine if an event in the more recent window is a repeat of an older event (based on both events having the same value for a field called comparison_field), I use the eventstats command to extend the older_event marking to matching newer events - calling this field duplicate_event. I then filter down to only events that do not contain the field duplicate_event.

Here's the code:
index=yourindex earliest=1505340000 latest=1507932000 your search criteria | eval older_event=1 | append [ search index=yourindex earliest=1507942800 your search criteria] | eventstats max(older_event) AS duplicate_event BY comparison_field | where isnull(duplicate_event)

sbattista09
Contributor

Thanks! worked well!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...