Splunk Search

Search result not in second with rex fields

drew_eckhardt
Engager

I want to look for requests in a service mesh ingest log which have no corresponding application log entries.

My first search is 

index=kubernetes source=*envoy-proxy*  (api.foo.com OR info) AND downstream_remote_disconnect 
| rex field=_raw "\[[^\]]+\] \"(?<downstream>[^\"]+)\".*\"(POST|GET) \"(?<host>[^\"]+)\" \"(?<path>[^\"\?]+)[\?]?\" [^\"]+\" (?<status>\d+).*\"(?<id1>[0-9a-f]{8})-(?<id2>[0-9a-f]{4})-(?<id3>[0-9a-f]{4})"
| eval id=id1.id2.id3
| fields id

my second search is 

index=kubernetes source=*proxy* operation:
| rex field=_raw "span_id:(?<id>[0-9a-f]{16});"
| fields id

and the obvious way of combining them yields no results

index=kubernetes source=*envoy-proxy*  (api.foo.com OR info) AND downstream_remote_disconnect 
| rex field=_raw "\[[^\]]+\] \"(?<downstream>[^\"]+)\".*\"(POST|GET) \"(?<host>[^\"]+)\" \"(?<path>[^\"\?]+)[\?]?\" [^\"]+\" (?<status>\d+).*\"(?<id1>[0-9a-f]{8})-(?<id2>[0-9a-f]{4})-(?<id3>[0-9a-f]{4})"
| eval id=id1.id2.id3
| fields id
| search NOT [
search index=kubernetes source=*proxy* operation:
| fields id
]
Labels (3)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do the two searches work independently?  Do they produce id field values that match?

If the two searches produce the same set of IDs then they'll cancel each other out and you'll get no results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

drew_eckhardt
Engager

The searches work independently.

The first search has events with id fields that do not exist in the second search.

I learned this when I manually went through 50+ entries from the first search and looked for them with an AND clause in the second search producing no matches.

I'd like to automate that process.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried formatting the results of the second search?

| eval id=id1.id2.id3
| fields id
| search NOT [
  search index=kubernetes source=*proxy* operation:
  | fields id
  | format
  ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...