Splunk Search

Search not working after migration to new Splunk cluster

morphis72
Path Finder

I have migrated my data collections from an older Splunk instance to a new clustered environment and am having issues with searches.

The old environment was running Splunk 6.5.2
The new environment is running Splunk 7.2.4

The data appears to be coming in correctly. The props and transforms seem to be firing correctly. When I do a side by side compare of logs in legacy and in new they appear to be identical.

In the below example search I am trying to run, if I peel off everything starting with the first rex all the way to the end I get the logs. But if I put back anything including or after that first rex the query runs through the logs and returns nothing. This exact query is working in my legacy Splunk on the same data.

index=<myindex> "GROUP USER - FINAL RESPONSE" OR ("UiInteractionHoldingsServicesImpl" AND "getHoldingsData ::  retail HoldingsList" AND NOT "retail HoldingsList size: 0") OR ("parsePandCHoldings :: pnc HoldingsList" AND NOT "PnC holdingsList size: 0") sourcetype=servicelog* | rex "id=(?<sess>.*):lv=(?<lv>.*):ss=(?<ss>.*)" | convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H" ctime(_time) AS date  | dedup sess date | rex ":: - (?<user_type>.*) USER - FINAL RESPONSE" | rex "getHoldingsData ::  (?<user_type>.*) HoldingsList" | rex "parsePandCHoldings :: (?<user_type>.*) HoldingsList" | eval new_user_type = case(user_type="GROUP", "Group", user_type="retail", "Retail", user_type="pnc", "Auto and Home", 1=1, user_type)  |stats count by new_user_type | collect
Tags (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi morphis72,
a stupid question?
whats your architecture? do you have Search Heads and clustered Indexers or only clustered Indexers?
because from the 7.x.x version, if you have a clustered Indexer you cannot run searches on it, you must use a Search Head!
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure about where the query breaks? rex does not filter events so anything in the base query should make it through everything up to dedup.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

morphis72
Path Finder

If I pull off | Rex —>

I get events. Put it on and I see the event counts but it matches nothing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...