Splunk Search

Search not producing event types

insomniacnerd94
Explorer

Hello. I am trying to get interactive logon logs for all workstations in an organization. The event code for this log is 4624 with the Event Type 2. I am only seeing Event Type 0 in Splunk when I do a search. When I view the logs in Event Viewer on a test workstation I am seeing all the Logon Types. I have been searching a lot for answers and have tried every solution but none of them give me the results I need.

What I have done:
1.) Confirmed that the event log collections for security logs is enabled with the wineventlog index in Data Inputs on the Deployment Server.
2.) I created a whitelist in the local directory of that app for the inputs.conf file with the following format:

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
whitelist = EventCode="4624" Message="LogonType=2"

also tried this,

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
whitelist = EventCode="4624"

I created a REGEX in the local directory of that app for the transforms.conf file with the following format:

REGEX = (?msi)EventCode=4624.<em>Logon Type:\s</em>(2|10)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wenthold
Communicator

I assume when you refer to "that app", you're referring to the Splunk TA for Windows. Try setting your inputs.conf whitelist to:

whitelist = EventCode="4624" Message="Logon Type:\s+2"

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the transforms - the Windows TA should parse the logon type field to "Logon_Type".

View solution in original post

wenthold
Communicator

I assume when you refer to "that app", you're referring to the Splunk TA for Windows. Try setting your inputs.conf whitelist to:

whitelist = EventCode="4624" Message="Logon Type:\s+2"

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the transforms - the Windows TA should parse the logon type field to "Logon_Type".

insomniacnerd94
Explorer

Thank you. That seems to have fixed the issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...