Splunk Search

Search hosts, Windows updates

ivan123357
Explorer

Hello! I am new in Splunk Search.  

I am using this query to find all hosts to which a specific update was installed:

source="WinEventLog:System" | search "KB4579311" | stats last(Keywords) as lastStatus by _time, host | search lastStatus="Installation, Failure”

But I need a query to find all hosts and create a table with hosts to which this update wasn't installed. It turns out that I need to display all hosts that were not found in the request above. Need help with it. Thank you!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Finding something that is not there is not Splunk's strong suit.  See this blog entry for a good write-up on it.

https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ivan123357
Explorer

Thank you for your answer!

If think logically, then I need to display hosts in the logs of which a certain number of updates is NOT found, which I indicate in the search. For example:

source="WinEventLog:System" EventCode=19 | stats by host |where NOT like(Message, " Update_Number"). But this search shows all events without this string(update number) but I need only a list of hosts. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
I think this should work
- get list of all your wndows hosts to lookup (e.g. once a week)
- query hosts which have this fix applied
- use previous lookup within above query to get list of nodes which haven’t this fix installed.
There is quite many examples how this could do.
r. Ismo
0 Karma

ivan123357
Explorer

Hello!

Sounds great. I will try it now. 

Can you give me an example too or a URL to documentation? It would be cool if I had a fewexamples

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

ivan123357
Explorer

I tried this way but I didn't receive any result. I am a newbie in Splunk 😞 

What do you think about this way?:

I can search all events with a successful update using regex search 

source="WinEventLog:System" | regex Message = "KB5555555" and for example i receive a few events from two hosts. First question: How I can create a table with a list of these hosts?

As I guess, then I can't use a search like "source="WinEventLog:System" | regex not Message = "KB5555555"" to find all hosts without this update because this search won't show any events.  

I'm stumped 😞 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...