Splunk Search

Search help - find total sum of lengths of array

ys2119
Loves-to-Learn

My current search returns a series of events like: 

{'field1' : {'field2' : [obj1, obj2, obj3]}}

{'field1' : {'field2' : [obj4, obj5]}}

{'field1' : {'field2' : [obj6]}}

I want to return the total sum of the lengths of the field1.field2 lists - in this case, would be 3 + 2 + 1 = 6

Can anyone help me with an easy way to do this? 

Labels (4)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Are the fields (field1 and field2) already extracted?

0 Karma

ys2119
Loves-to-Learn

No, I just have the query (CURRENT_QUERY) that returns that list of events, but I still need to extract the inner list

And I think stats count(field1.field2) will get the length of the array..but not sure how to return a single number for the total sum of lengths

I also tried using spath like - spath output=myarray path=field1.field2{} but not sure what to do with it

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you list the name of fields (exact name) and sample values (output of simple search like "index=foo sourcetype=bar | head 1 | table field1 field1.field2{}")?

You can basically use "eval - split" on field2 by comma  (which will give a multivalued field) and then use mvcount function to get the count of values in the resulting multivalued field).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...