Splunk Search

Search for peers with status=down

pc1
Path Finder

What search can I do to find peers with status=down. Looking to form an alert when this happens but can't find it within a search. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk Monitoring console (formally known as DMC) has alert "DMC Alert - Search Peer Not Responding" which does the same thing. It basically runs following search:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/search/distributed/peers/
| where status!="Up"
| fields peerName, status
| rename peerName as Instance, status as Status

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk Monitoring console (formally known as DMC) has alert "DMC Alert - Search Peer Not Responding" which does the same thing. It basically runs following search:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/search/distributed/peers/
| where status!="Up"
| fields peerName, status
| rename peerName as Instance, status as Status

pc1
Path Finder

Yup, found this preexisting alert and was able to edit the Actions on it to integrate with the Slack Notifications add-on. Runs every 5 minutes to check if the server is down so this works perfectly for me. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

Are you looking for hosts with forwarders installed that havent reported to Splunk in some time?

You can use the Monitoring Console to view that.  To view the missing hosts, you can click on the Forwarders tab and then Forwarders: Deployment.

For an alert, go to the Monitoring Console -> Settings -> Alerts Setup. There is an alert named DMC Alert - Missing Forwarders.

Note: A forwarder shows a status of "missing" if it has not connected to indexers within 15 minutes

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...