Splunk Search

Search for events in sequence over time

RunNateRun

I am attempting to create a search to alert on when a previously disabled employee is re-enabled. Currently, my search is as follows:

index=* EventCode=4738 sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" New_UAC_Value="0x10" | join type=inner [search earliest=-3m@d latest=now index=* sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode=4725] | table _time,user,src_user,Old_UAC_Value,New_UAC_Value,EventCode

The first search identifies accounts that have been re-enabled. While this is half the battle, it also includes accounts that are being created or modified in some way. The second search (after the join) identifies disabled accounts. What I need to identify in my search are those accounts that in sometime in the past were disabled, and this more recently re-enabled.

Joining these two searches in the manner above does not produce what I expect it to.

I greatly appreciate any help provided.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

How about something like this (this is untested code, so please edit as appropriate)

index=* sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode=4738  OR EventCode=4725  | stats latest(eval(if(EventCode=4738 AND New_UAC_Value="0x10", _time, null()))) as E4738 latest(eval(if(EventCode=4725, _time, null()))) as E4725 by Account_Name | where E4738>E4725 | foreach E* [eval <<FIELD>>=strftime(<<FIELD>>, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S")]

You could also try with EventCode 4722 (account enabled)

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

How about something like this (this is untested code, so please edit as appropriate)

index=* sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode=4738  OR EventCode=4725  | stats latest(eval(if(EventCode=4738 AND New_UAC_Value="0x10", _time, null()))) as E4738 latest(eval(if(EventCode=4725, _time, null()))) as E4725 by Account_Name | where E4738>E4725 | foreach E* [eval <<FIELD>>=strftime(<<FIELD>>, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S")]

You could also try with EventCode 4722 (account enabled)

MuS
Legend

A stats search which replaces a join is most likely to be the better approach 😉

0 Karma

RunNateRun

Modified this to capture removal from the security-enabled global group (Event code 4729) instead of 4725. Code worked perfectly.

Thank you Sundareshr!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...