Splunk Search

Search for event field that can 'potentially' contain NULL values

kenth213
Path Finder

I have a dashboard that has input field tokens to populate a search string. These input fields default to * when no value is specified.
When the wildcard is used, I am having trouble displaying all events when a field has a NULL value.

For example I have fields "FIELD1" and "FIELD2", and events with the following values:
- A) FIELD1 = Admin FIELD2 = Active
- B) FIELD1 = Admin FIELD2 = Active
- C) FIELD1 = User FIELD2 = Inactive
- D) FIELD1 = User FIELD2 =

Event D FIELD2 is NULL. If my search was FIELD1 = * and FIELD2 = "Active" I only return events A and B (correct). However if my search was looking for FIELD1 = * and FIELD2 = * I only find events A B and C.

How do I return all FIELD2 values even if NULL if no value has been specified in the input field - and still enable a specific value to be used e.g. Active?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

jayannah
Builder

"NOT FIELD2=*" returns the events where FIELD2 value is NULL.

For your case :

option-1:  FIELD1=*  AND (FIELD2=* OR  NOT FIELD2=* )
     Option-2:  |fillnull value=SOMETHING FIELD2 | where FIELD1=* and FIELD2=*

option-1 is preferred.

let me know if it doesn't work.

View solution in original post

jayannah
Builder

"NOT FIELD2=*" returns the events where FIELD2 value is NULL.

For your case :

option-1:  FIELD1=*  AND (FIELD2=* OR  NOT FIELD2=* )
     Option-2:  |fillnull value=SOMETHING FIELD2 | where FIELD1=* and FIELD2=*

option-1 is preferred.

let me know if it doesn't work.

kenth213
Path Finder

Option 1 was close, but had issues if a user input other than * is specified. For searches when no user input is specified it works perfectly (as * is default value).

Option 2 was easiest for me to use as I just assigned FIELD2 = "" and could then leave my search string logic as it was.

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...