Splunk Search

Search for 5 maximal values per field

omend
Path Finder

Hi All,

My data in Splunk contains information about sales from different store branches. More specifically, I have the data in the format - Date, Branch_ID, Sales (Number), that describes for each branch, its sales stats overview for each day (one number).

I would like to run a search that will calculate for each branch, the average of the top 5 best sales day, across the last month. More specifically, I would like to be able to reach results in the format Branch_ID Avg(Max(5)).

For example, if branch_id #1 has the values 0,100,50,100,25,200,75,0,150,25, I would like the query to output #1 (200+150+100+100+75)/5=125.

I tried the stats max, but it only takes the first max value. I tried to sort with limit count, but I couldn't apply the count for each branch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ori.

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Assuming the last scenario, where each sale would be in a separate event;

... | sort - sales_field | dedup 5 branch_id | stats avg(sales_field) as "Avg Top5 Sales" by branch_id

This seems somewhat inefficient, but right now I can't think of anything better.

/K

View solution in original post

omend
Path Finder

Each event specifies a single branch sales on a single day.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Assuming the last scenario, where each sale would be in a separate event;

... | sort - sales_field | dedup 5 branch_id | stats avg(sales_field) as "Avg Top5 Sales" by branch_id

This seems somewhat inefficient, but right now I can't think of anything better.

/K

omend
Path Finder

That worked like a charm.
Thank you very much!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Please post a few sample events. Also, describe how the sales values are extracted as fields (if they are);
- a single event per branch with separate fields, or
- a single event per branch with a multivalued field, or
- separate events with a single sales field in each.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...