Splunk Search

Search filter returning odd results

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hey everyone!

Hope you are doing alright and my question is in the right place here. 

For a few days, i am seeing a strange issue with my searches. I do mainly use text fields and filter them in my dashboards. Nothing too wild going on. Worked for a while, does not anymore, now. 

This example describes the issue quite well:

I am search from an index called "dt_statusreport". Configuring a filter "Country"="*" will give me all entries in the index:

jansvensen_0-1622211842308.png

If i now change the filter to "Country"="CA", no results will be fould:

jansvensen_1-1622211934584.png

The same occurs if i add the filter by clicking it from the results from search 1.

jansvensen_2-1622211989780.png

jansvensen_3-1622212015524.png

Even more odd things happen, if I filter for "Country"="DE". Magically, the count reduces from 101 to 12.

jansvensen_4-1622212086278.png

I have no darn idea where this might come from. If you can push me to any direction, i'll be very glad!

Cheers,

Sven

Labels (2)
0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

New findings: I played around with test data a bit more. Getting an interesting outcome. splunk version is 8.2.0 in this case. 

Input field: "Country"

Calculated field: ctry = tostring(Country)

Filter by "Country" --> filter does not work / results as described here

jansvensen_0-1624949793435.png

Filter by "ctry" --> filter does work / results are displayed properly

jansvensen_1-1624949816572.png

It seems i can work around it with setting the field data type to "string". Is there a way to define all fields of an index?

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

8.2.0 seems to break my searches on windows and ubuntu. interesting.

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Just rolled back my Splunk on Windows to 8.1.3 --> works perfectly. with the same input script.

8.2.0 on Ubuntu still no chance. Fresh installed system.

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Chaps, thank you for your support so far. I did not get the time to try your recommendations, but will do so next week. I'll update then! 

0 Karma

fredchase
Explorer

Under the green search magnifying glass, click on the "Fast Mode" and when the menu opens up, choose "Verbose Mode". It might fix the problem.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

index=dt_statusreport Country=*CA*

?

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Adding the asterisks actually does do the trick in terms of filtering. It does bring new perks, of course.

Data is created via a simple script. Just sending json over. The script i am testing with just now is:

$Counter = 1

do {

$TestValueArray=@(
        "Yes",
        "No",
        "No",
        "No",
        "No",
        "Yesa",
        "No",
        "Yesa",
        "No",
        "No",
        "Yesb",
        "No",
        "No"
    )

$TestValue = $TestValueArray[(Get-Random –Minimum 0 –Maximum 12)]

$json = @"
{
    "host": "Test",
    "index": "dt_test",
    "event": "Status Report Log Entry created for Test",
    "fields": {
        "Test Value": "$TestValue"
    }
}
"@

$Headers = @{
        Authorization = "Splunk c39425b6-380b-46f0-b705-f381b046a031"
        ContentType = "application/json"
    }

#write-host "Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "http://10.10.10.39:8088/services/collector" -Method "POST" -Body $json -Headers $Headers"
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "http://10.10.10.39:8088/services/collector" -Method "POST" -Body $json -Headers $Headers  | Out-Null

$counter = $counter + 1

}

until ($counter -gt 1000)

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

< index = "dt_test" "Test value"=*Yes* > does include "Yes", "Yesa" and "Yesb" now, of course. 
< index = "dt_test" "Test value"=Yes > does not include anything

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this test data set results in different search behavior in 8.1.3 and 8.2.0, I suspect that the upgrade has some errors.   Did you test  in a newly installed 8.2.0 on the same platform that has this problem?

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi!

My Ubuntus were 8.2.0 from scratch, Windows was updated. I'll retry this week and give an update here.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From your test data generator, I have another suspicion: Is it possible that your 8.2 installations somehow collapse multiple events into one event so some "Test Value" become multivalued?  If "Test Value" = ["Yes", "Yesa"], it will match *Yes*, but not "Yes".

Since this data is synthetic, maybe you can share some sample events as ITWhisperer suggested?  In your real data, if some events have Country = ["DE"], some have Contry = ["DE", "CA"], Country = "DE" will only return those with single valued "DE".

You can also sanitize your real data using "index=dt_statusreport | table Country" and share in this forum.  This will only show Country codes, nothing else in your data.

Alternatively, share multi-value test output using this

index=dt_statusreport
| eval mv_country = mvcount(Country)
| stats count by mv_country

If every event is single-valued, you should see one count with mv_country == 1.

0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

it does seem, all values are singles:
jansvensen_0-1623943150042.png

jansvensen_1-1623943204627.png

still seeing the issue. This is splunk 7.2.0 now.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jansvensen wrote:

it does seem, all values are singles:

still seeing the issue. This is splunk 7.2.0 now.

This is quite confusing.

• First sentence.  Your screenshot showing mv_country are all 1, is it tested in 7.2 or in 8.2?  If the problem is 8.2 specific, you need to test in 8.2.
  • Second sentence.  Do you mean that 7.2 also starts to show the bad behavior?
0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi! 

Sorry, if i was not clear.

I do have different versions in my lab. All are basic Ubuntu with splunk installed the same way. I'm using the same version of test script in every VM. So far my findings are:

8.2.0: issue exists

8.1.4: working

8.1.3: working

8.0.0: working

7.2.0: issue exists

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If you haven’t create a support ticket, you should do it now.
0 Karma

jansvensen
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Thanks! I'll do so!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should check from job inspector what is the real search what splunk has combined for you based on your search and possible searchFilters etc.

Job -> Inspect Job -> search.log or Search Job Properties.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share some suitable anonymised events?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...