Splunk Search

Search by sourcetype returns no results

bmaupin
Explorer

I'm indexing some syslog data from UDP. I'm using a transform on the data to set the sourcetype of data from certain hosts like this:

[vmware_set_sourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY=MetaData:Host
DEST_KEY=MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX=^host::vmware-\d+.example.com$
FORMAT=vmware_syslog

That works just fine. When I do a search by host, I see the data as expected, and the sourcetype is vmware_syslog. So, for example, this search returns 30,399 results:

host=vmware-* earliest=-10m

This search, however, returns none:

sourcetype=vmware_syslog earliest=-10m

It's strange, because on my search homepage, I can page through the source types, find vmware_syslog, and click on it to do a search, but I still get no results.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I file a support case.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

bmaupin
Explorer

I went ahead and filed a support request, and turns out this is a bug after all. The splunk folks gave me this search as a workaround:

index="vmware" | search sourcetype=vmware_syslog earliest=-10m

Edit:
Apparently this isn't a bug and I was doing it wrong. The format should have had sourcetype:: prepended to it. So the transform stanza should have looked like this:

[vmware_set_sourcetype]
FORMAT=sourcetype::vmware_syslog

View solution in original post

bmaupin
Explorer

I went ahead and filed a support request, and turns out this is a bug after all. The splunk folks gave me this search as a workaround:

index="vmware" | search sourcetype=vmware_syslog earliest=-10m

Edit:
Apparently this isn't a bug and I was doing it wrong. The format should have had sourcetype:: prepended to it. So the transform stanza should have looked like this:

[vmware_set_sourcetype]
FORMAT=sourcetype::vmware_syslog

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is the count for your sourcetype vmware_syslog on the summary page? 0?

Judging by your host=vmware-* search that returns results, your REGEX won't match any of your events. Unless you plan to use some value that will be extracted by the REGEX as a part of your sourcetype, then you should use sourcetype= in props.conf, instead of your stanza in transforms.conf.

PROPS.CONF:

[source:://...mystuff...]
sourcetype=vmware_syslog

P.S. It looks like host:: does not belong in your REGEX -- probably a mixup from the FORMAT clause where that syntax is often used. I would scrap the transforms.conf config and just use props.conf for this.

bmaupin
Explorer

The count for sourcetype vmware_syslog on the summary page is 126,675,534. If it were 0, then I wouldn't have expected any results when I clicked on it 😉

..which also indicates the regex works fine, host:: and all. I got the idea from here:

http://answers.splunk.com/questions/7125/sending-to-different-index-based-on-host-from-syslog-stream...

I'm already using sourcetype= in props.conf to set the sourcetype of most of the data coming into this UDP listener. I need to set data from other servers as a separate sourcetype, but I can't send it to a separate port.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...