Splunk Search

Search by Field's Value

edschembor
Path Finder

So I have a search where I need to further search by the value of the field.

ie)
| eval EPHID = "EPH1406180001103"
| search EPHID

Searches for logs with "EPHID" and not "EPH1406180001103". Is there some way to search for the field's value and not the field?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aweitzman
Motivator

Try the following:

| where like(_raw,"%".EPHID."%")

View solution in original post

edschembor
Path Finder

Let me give some more information:

I have a statement "eval entity="" " which is eventually set to some value which will only be a single value. Now, I need to further search the logs for this single value. Is there a way so that I search what entity equals as opposed to just its name?

0 Karma

davby
Explorer

Use a subsearch. Using your example as a starting point:

[| gentimes start=-1 | eval EPHID="EPH1406180001103" | rename EPHID as query | fields query ]

Presumably your search is more complex than your example. If you have a search that results in EPHID having one or more values, then the gentimes stanza will not be needed; replace gentimes and eval with that search instead. For example:

[search user="john.doe" | rename host as query | fields query]

will search for events with user "john.doe", get the host field from these, then search for that value in everything.

0 Karma

edschembor
Path Finder

Having trouble understanding this. Do I need the user="john.doe" part? Why does this need to be done as a subsearch?

0 Karma

aweitzman
Motivator

Try the following:

| where like(_raw,"%".EPHID."%")

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...