Splunk Search

Search and compare data within 3 fields to find positive and negative matches

Glioblaster
Explorer

I have a search yielding data from three different email fields, call them msg.header.to{}, msg.header.cc{} and orig_recipient.  I am looking to see if the email address contained within orig_recipient matches either of the other two.  The issue is that Splunk captures the data differently in the msg.header columns.

For example, the msg.header columns output is "Smith, Joe <joe.smith@email.com>", while the output in the orig_recipient would only be "joe.smith@email.com".   So, when I ask Splunk to tell me if the orig_recipient email address is in the msg.header.to{}, I get a negative.  I have tried Like, If, Where and others, along with using wildcards but maybe my syntax is wrong.    

I am looking to see how I can search within a field using the value of another field as the search parameter.  Also, if that is not possible, extracting the data between the <> and putting it into another field to compare off of that field might work.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Glioblaster
Explorer

Solved:

This is what worked for my search and I also had some mixed case letters so I added the case "lower".

| rex field=msg.header.to{}  max_match=0 "<(?<test>.*)>" 

| rex field=msg.header.cc{}  max_match=0 "<(?<test2>.*)>" 

| eval test=lower(test)

| eval test=lower(test2)

| eval test3=if(orig_recipient=test OR orig_recipient=test2), "TRUE", "FALSE")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Glioblaster As well as using match, as suggested by @to4kawa you can always extract the email address using the rex statement, as in this example. Note that it still uses match() to do the compare.

| makeresults
| eval Message="{\"message\":{\"hdr\":{\"to\":\"Smith, Joe <joe.smith@email.com>\",\"cc\":\"Smith, Fred <fred.smith@email.com>\"}},\"orig_recipient\":\"joe.smith@email.com\""
| spath input=Message
| rex field=message.hdr.cc "<(?<email_cc>[^>]*)"
| rex field=message.hdr.to "<(?<email_to>[^>]*)"
| eval to_is_orig=if(match(orig_recipient,email_to),"EQUAL","NOT_EQUAL")

Hope this is useful.

0 Karma

Glioblaster
Explorer

Thank you. I tried this but it did not like my following syntax (received "Error in 'eval' command. The expression is malformed.") as I need to search against the fields, I substituted the field names where you put the email addresses.  I wrote the following:

eval Message="{\"message\":{\"hdr"\{\"to"\:\"'msg.header.to{}'\",\"cc\":\"'msg.header.cc{}'\"}},\"orig_recipient\""

All else was the same from your reply.  In addition, I will be putting an OR command as I need to search against the .to and .cc fields.

0 Karma

Glioblaster
Explorer

Update, so as I am continuing to work on this I changed the parameters to this:

rex field=msg.header.to{} "<(?<test>.*)>" and it worked with providing me the email address contained within the "<>".  My next issue is to make it work on multiple email addresses within the same field.  Suggestions are welcomed.  After I get the email addresses extracted out into a new field, I can then write comparison expressions against my orig_recipient field.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Glioblaster
Explorer

Solved:

This is what worked for my search and I also had some mixed case letters so I added the case "lower".

| rex field=msg.header.to{}  max_match=0 "<(?<test>.*)>" 

| rex field=msg.header.cc{}  max_match=0 "<(?<test2>.*)>" 

| eval test=lower(test)

| eval test=lower(test2)

| eval test3=if(orig_recipient=test OR orig_recipient=test2), "TRUE", "FALSE")

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

|eval check=if(match('msg.header.to{}', orig_recipient), 1,0)

How about match()?

0 Karma

Glioblaster
Explorer

Thank you but the result was all negative as it was the same problem I am running into where Splunk does not look within the field to match the results so the email addresses inside the <> are not being parsed against the email addresses in orig_recipient.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...