Splunk Search

Search Scheduler Searches Skipped

Roy_9
Motivator

Hello,

I am seeing the below warning on our SH after splunk cloud performed a restart at the backend when i uninstalled an app from our Splunk SH.

Error:

Root Cause(s):
The percentage of non high priority searches skipped (100%) over the last 24 hours is very high and exceeded the red thresholds (20%) on this Splunk instance. Total Searches that were part of this percentage=12. Total skipped Searches=12

I identified the searches that were skipped using the cloud monitoring console, Is there any troubleshooting steps  to fix this message since we are still seeing the SH health condition as RED.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you can see the reason for Skipped on that "Search -> Skipped Scheduled Searches" dashboard. Just update those searches and fix that reason or change schedule if there are too many searches running at same time.

r. Ismo

Roy_9
Motivator

Roy99_0-1636559529952.png

Hi @isoutamo 

We are seeing the above mentioned reason for the skipped searches, actually we are on splunk cloud, do we need to raise any request for splunk support to increase any limits in order to resolve this.

Thanks

0 Karma

soumyasaha25
Contributor

So your SHs are running real-time searches which are really resource intensive, as a quick fix try to convert them into scheduled searches, in "most" cases a real time search is never required.

Regarding the Skipped concurrent searches you can follow the below steps:

1. Detect which searches are being skipped

index=_internal earliest=-24h status=skipped  sourcetype=scheduler

2. Which apps the Skipped Searches are coming from

index=_internal earliest=-24h status=skipped  sourcetype=scheduler 
| stats  count by host app | sort - count

3. Identify the bad searches (change the timeframe and host as per your needs)

index=_internal sourcetype=scheduler status!=queued earliest=-30d@d host=<server_name> 
| eval is_realtime=if(searchmatch("sid=rt* OR concurrency_category=real-time_scheduled"),"yes","no") 
| fields run_time is_realtime savedsearch_name user 
| stats avg(run_time) as average_run_time max(run_time) as max_run_time min(run_time) 
as min_run_time max(is_realtime) as is_realtime by savedsearch_name user 
| eval average_run_time = average_run_time/60| eval min_run_time = min_run_time/60 
| eval max_run_time = max_run_time/60 | sort - average_run_time 
| join savedsearch_name [|rest  /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches splunk_server=<server_name> 
| search is_scheduled=1 | rename title AS savedsearch_name | rename eai:acl.app 
as title| table splunk_server title savedsearch_name cron_schedule search ] 
| rename title as "App Name" | fields splunk_server savedsearch_name user 
average_run_time max_run_time min_run_time cron_schedule is_realtime search "App Name" 
| sort splunk_server, -average_run_time

4. Modify scheduler limits

In case the above did not remediate your situation the last option is to increase limits on a system by modifying limits.conf (make sure you do it on a custom app and not the one in $Splunk_HOME$/etc/default)

Out of the box with a Splunk 16 core system, Splunk can run 22 searches at any one time. That is calculated using the following formula:

max_hist_searches = max_searches_per_cpu ( default of 1) x number_of_cpus (16) + base_max_searches (default of 6).

Of those 22 searches, the scheduler is allocated 50 percent of that number by default (so 11 searches) according to the setting max_searches_perc.

Of those 11 searches that the scheduler can run, the auto summarization (things like Data Models) are allowed 50% of the number of scheduled searches. Taking 50% of the number of searches that the scheduler can run, we end up with about 6 searches that can be run at a time for your Data Models according to the setting for auto_summary_perc.

This all being said, if your data models are taking an extremely long time to run, or not completing and consistently skipping, increasing your base max searches from 6 to 12, will only get you to 7 auto summary searches at one time. You may want to alter auto_summary_perc in order to allow more searches to be dedicated to your Data Models. If you have the CPU resources, you may want to up the max_searches_per_cpu to something like 2. This would allow you to run 10 Data Model summarizations at any one time and give an overall number of 38 maximum historical searches.

The above info is derived from here

Roy_9
Motivator

@soumyasaha25  Since we are using Splunk Cloud and doesn't have access to back end of SH, I will check with Splunk support to see if they can increase the limit of max_searches_per_cpu to 2 and also I am not sure about the specs of our SH tier as it will be controlled entirely by Splunk.

Thanks for the info, Will keep you posted if this solution works

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @soumyasaha25 said you should look through your RT searches and think if those can converted to scheduled searches. Personally I haven’t have ever need for alert run as RT. Only situation when those can used/ gives some advantages to you is looking event when you are doing data boarding.

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

I have identified few apps where i noticed this scheduled searches but most of these apps has been pre enabled when we signed up for splunk cloud, We are not even using these, this question might be out of context but just wanted to know if we can disable these ITSI app? 

0 Karma

soumyasaha25
Contributor

I think (i might be wrong though) that you have a multi-tenant splunk environment, there are chances that some other team is using those ITSI searches. My suggestion would be to reach out to Splunk support, they will surely assist you.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Then it’s best to go through those wit splunk cloud supports. If you don’t use ITSI then you probably don’t need those schedules.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...