Splunk Search

Search Query Assistance - break data into table.

herndona
Engager

I am working on a search that will take a massive list of user groups and table the servers under such group.
An example input:

Group:  appldev ===> uslx233, uslx235, uslx238, uslx239, xls001cn03, xls001cn04
Group:  appldvs ===> xla001cn01, xla001cn02, xla001cn07, xls001cn01, xls001cn02, xls001cn03, xls001cn04
Group:  cmod ===> uslx30a, uslx31a, uslx32a, uslx33a, uslx34a, uslx1064, uslx1065, uslx1067

In the example, appldev is the group name and everything else after ===> are the servers it pertains to. This all comes in as a single Splunk log entry (it is about 58 lines long).
I will be writing an XML based form in Splunk using the group names as radio buttons. When a group name is selected, it will bring up a table of all servers. I can get the radio button and dynamic dashboard into place, however, I am looking for suggestions on breaking out just the servers requested by the radio button.

For example, if you ignore the radio button scenario above, how would I get a search to do the following:

pseudo search:

group='appldev' | table related_hosts

output:

related_hosts:

uslx233
uslx235
uslx238

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

if the field really is called "related_hosts", then it would look like

group='appldev' | stats count by related_hosts

If the field is simply "host", then

group='appldev' | stats count by host

and if you want to sort by count,

group='appldev' | stats count by host | sort 0 - count
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...