Splunk Search

Saved searches lifetime: difference between dispatch.ttl and alert.expires in savedsearches.conf

BernardEAI
Communicator

I'm trying to accurately control the lifetime of the search artifacts of a saved search. I have set the "Expiry" time to 30 mins in the saved search, but if I check the artifacts in the  "Jobs" view, the expiry of the search is 2 hours after start.

Looking at the savesdearches.conf I see the item "alert.expires = 30m" in the saved search stanza. I have also seen the item "dispatch.ttl" in the Spunk documentation for savedsearches.conf, where it states:

dispatch.ttl = <integer>[p]
* Indicates the time to live (ttl), in seconds, for the artifacts of the
  scheduled search, if no actions are triggered.

According to that the life of the artifacts is controlled by this parameter. What does alert.expires control? Is there a way to set dispatch.ttl via the UI?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

BernardEAI
Communicator

I found the answer to the question: the "dispatch.ttl" can be configured in the "Advanced Edit" of the saved search.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

BernardEAI
Communicator

I found the answer to the question: the "dispatch.ttl" can be configured in the "Advanced Edit" of the saved search.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because non-admins couldn't always see the advanced edit I created an app / code here https://github.com/gjanders/SplunkOther so that they could change the TTL of there own alerts without hitting the REST API...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...