Splunk Search

SHC update apps

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

I run a search head cluster with Splunk Enterprise. Typically I update apps via the back end CLI, but am wondering if I can update via the GUI. My question is: does the GUI >> Manage Apps >> Find App >> Click "Update App to #.##" update the apps on all of my search heads or only on the one I am viewing? I've always been told to go through the cli so never have attempted this. 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You've been told to use the CLI because that is the way that works.  Using the GUI affects only the local SH and can get the cluster out of sync.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You've been told to use the CLI because that is the way that works.  Using the GUI affects only the local SH and can get the cluster out of sync.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @TheBravoSierra,

in a Search Head Cluster you shouldn't have in the Settings menu the choice to manage and update apps, if you have, check your configurations!

Anyway, in a Search Head Cluster, you have to update apps only using the Deployer, if few words it's its own role and almost the one!

To update apps in a Search Head Cluster follow the steps at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

Ciao.

Giuseppe

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

Thanks gcusello!

I will continue using the deployer. For my reference,  what is the config that disables the manage/update apps on a search head cluster member?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @TheBravoSierra,

i you try to configure an app in a Search Head Cluster using the gui, you have an error and you cannot.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...