Splunk Search

Return index position of {someValue} in multi-value field

stjack99
Explorer

I'm using transaction to combine events & generate multi-value fields. What I want to do is keep the values of a mv field after the first occurance of some value.

My first guess was to use a command that returned the index position of the value within the mv field, then use mvindex to get what I wanted. Only problem, I don't see a command that let's me search of mvfield and get the location of "value".

Am I missing something? If not, anyone have a workaround?

Just to clarify, if I have the following mv field called Names: john bob fred don

I want to get rid of all values before the 1st occurance of bob. End result would be: bob fred don

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ildo

Think that rawKeys have "aaa,bbb,ccc".

the solution: ... | eval keys=split(rawKeys,",") | eval countKeys=mvcount(keys) | mvexpand keys | map search=" search | head 1 | eval key=\"$keys$\" | eval rawKeys=\"$rawKeys$,\" | eval countKeys=\"$countKeys$\" | rex field=rawKeys \"$keys$(?.*)\" | eval positionKey=(countKeys-(mvcount(split(endBlock,\",\"))-1) ) " ...

in the end result "aaa" positionKey = 0, "bbb" positionKey = 1 and "ccc" positionKey = 2.

0 Karma

malvidin
Communicator

I don't know which version it was introduced in, but mvrange and mvzip can be used.

| eval keys = split(rawKeys, ",")
| eval index_and_key = mvzip(mvrange(0, mvcount(keys)), keys, ",")

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

One workaround:

host=xxx | search Names="bob" | eval DelimitedNames=mvjoin(Names,";") | rex mode=sed field=DelimitedNames "s/^(.*?;)*bob/bob/" | eval InterestingNames=split(DelimitedNames,";")

Flatten the multi-value field into a text string, then use rex to strip out everything before "bob", and then expand the result back into a multi-value field.

Remove search Names="bob" if you want to preserve all values when bob is not seen at all.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...