Splunk Search

Return First user and _time from ACS syslog

buldamoosh

Firstly, my data is formatted like this:

Dec 15 13:58:12 gthou-nsacs01p CisACS_01_PassedAuth ne8yfimc 1 0 Message-Type=Authen OK,User-Name=Adorton,NAS-IP-Address=10.71.11.7,Caller-ID=174.253.112.223,NAS-Port=124190720,Group-Name=VPN Neudesic,Filter Information=No Filters activated.,AAA Server=gthou-nsacs01p,Network Device Group=Wireless and VPN,Access Device=phe-ardmore-int-sa00-rad,

I've created an eventtype which keys on "Message-Type=Authen OK" called acs-authentication-success. The query I'm working off of looks like this:

eventtype=acs-authentication-success | uniq User_Name | sort User_Name, -_date | fields User_Name, _time

However, rather than displaying the latest time that every User_Name was seen in the syslog data, it returns EVERY individual instance. I'm new to splunk reporting and would appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First, do not use uniq. I don't even know why it even exists. Try:

eventtype=acs-authentication-success | dedup User_Name | fields User_Name, _time

or

eventtype=acs-authentication-success | stats latest(_time) by User_Name

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First, do not use uniq. I don't even know why it even exists. Try:

eventtype=acs-authentication-success | dedup User_Name | fields User_Name, _time

or

eventtype=acs-authentication-success | stats latest(_time) by User_Name
0 Karma

buldamoosh

Awesome, that definitely got my results as I expected them. Thank you so much! Can you point me to a document that will help me to export the dataset to a CSV with the User_name and the _time?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...