Splunk Search

Restrict searches for a role using search terms is not working

totalfroggy

Hi All.

I have a local instance on my laptop for demo purposes, so no complex deployment on this machine.

I have created an eventype="event1" wich should be used on search filtering terms for a role in order to restrict searches.

I then create a role named "role1":

1. Inheritance: none

2. Capabilities:  run_collect, run_mcollect, schedule_rtsearch, search 

3. Indexes: main

4. Restrictions: (index::main) AND (sourcetype::source) AND (eventtype::event) - If tested, this spl correctly returns the results I want the role to be able to search on

5. Resources: Nothing changed

I then save the role and assign it to the demo user. I also restarted splunk as docs says.

When I login with demo user, I can see all the events and is not filtering by the restrictions of its role.

Any clue on this?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

vzabawski
Path Finder

I have same problem with Splunk 7.0.

Let's assume there's a role "my_role". In my case that role had inherited role "power" and that was the problem. After switching from "power" to "user", the restriction worked.

0 Karma

MLGSPLUNK
Path Finder

Yes, that would do. In my case i didn't inherited any role but it all has to do with license permission. 

Search restriction works fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...