Splunk Search

Report on timestamps for two different Eventtypes in the same search

aramakrishnan

I have two successful searches that I want to combine into one. Ideally, I'm trying to see for each segmentNo, what the process start time and process end time is, as well as duration. Both of the times are to be extracted from the timestamps for those events.

With the two searches below, I can create two independent tables which give me information on three columns: segmentNo, host and (start/end)time.

eventtype="processingstart" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval startTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo startTime

AND

eventtype="processingend" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval endTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo endTime

I tried using append and join (w/ combinations of search AND search NOT) but they would not let me search by eventtype. I basically want Splunk to understand that the startTime comes from the timestamp of eventtype1 and endTime comes from the timestamp of eventtype 2. If I take a long approach, I can export tables from both these searches independently and combine them in Excel or something. But I'm looking for one single table from Splunk that will report a table on these fields: segmentNo, host, startTime, endTime, duration

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

0 Karma
1 Solution

ramdaspr
Contributor

Have you tried Join

eventtype="processingstart" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval startTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo startTime| join segmentNo [search eventtype="processingend" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval endTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo endTime]

should give you the result you are looking for.

View solution in original post

ramdaspr
Contributor

Have you tried Join

eventtype="processingstart" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval startTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo startTime| join segmentNo [search eventtype="processingend" devID="XA123" segmentNo="*" |eval endTime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")| dedup segmentNo |table host segmentNo endTime]

should give you the result you are looking for.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...