Replace spaces not working in props.conf SEDCMD

jlvix1
Communicator

Hi all, I have tried everything...

In props.conf

SEDCMD-replacespaces = s/\s/_/g  

and also

SEDCMD-replacespaces = s/ /_/g

I tried something like s/\s/lol/g and this did not work also, the problem is likely with identifying the single space.

What I would like to do is perform a find replace for spaces and replace with underscores, as the KV pairs are not being picked up correctly when a space is encountered, for example I have the code in (that works) that performs : SEDCMD-replacecolons = s/\s:\s/=/g s/:\s/=/g s/:\n/=/g t hat puts the equals signs in correctly, I just want to re-go over it and replace spaces with underscores.

We aren't able to change the code that writes the logs, in case anyone suggests that.

Can anyone please explain why sedcmd will not work with a single space as either a regex identifier or a raw character?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We're going to have to move comments here because we've reached the limit on comments under one question.

Real quick @jlvix1, is this windows or what?

0 Karma

jlvix1
Communicator

Yes windows, 7 and 2012 I have tried this on. It's just a bit hacky that SEDCMD-replacespaces = s/()/^/g means to replace any character with ^ and including spaces.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I don't see an issue with the SEDCMD command. Where are you placing this props.conf? This should go on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder and will only do the replacement for new events (old events will not change).

jlvix1
Communicator

Yes this is in props.conf. As I stated, replacecolons works fine. I have re-tried various times on various configurations. The problem is replacing \s on its own. Is it working for you?

0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

Can you try s/\ /_/g?

That has done trick once for me.

Thanks,
Raghav

0 Karma

jlvix1
Communicator

Hi, this does not work, still not bringing in the events, SEDCMD has an issue with this

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

how about \s+ or putting the sedcmd in quotes?

Are there spaces when the sedcmd runs?

example

raw = THERE ARE SPACES
SEDCMD-AAA = s/THERE\sARE\sSPACES/TEHREARENTSPACES/g
SEDCMD-BBB = s/\s/
/g

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you restarting splunk? Are you doing this on indexers and forwarders?

0 Karma

jlvix1
Communicator

Hi, yes everything is working otherwise, doing this on heavy forwarder.

I'm looking at other options now, going to use regex capture groups and just try to scrape what I can.

My testimony here is that SED in splunk does not work identically to SED in linux. \s can not be found and replaced with anything in splunk. When reading up on SED in general, my command should work fine.

This may of course be a collision between transforms.conf etc... Or it could just be that there is some method required.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
 \s works fine in sedcmd for me
0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

+1 to @jkat54 's answer.

I created a script that writes "$Date T O D A Y I S $DAY" and configured the monitored input.

Inputs.conf
[monitor:///opt/splunk/bin/scripts/test.txt]
index=main
sourcetype=test

In props.conf,

[source::/opt/splunk/bin/scripts/test.txt]
SEDCMD-replacespaces = s/()/^/g

Bounced splunkd and here's the output in search

index=main sourcetype=test

Output:

^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^M^O^N^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^T^U^E^S^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^W^E^D^N^E^S^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^T^H^U^R^S^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^F^R^I^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^S^A^T^U^R^D^A^Y^
^0^8^-^1^9^-^2^0^1^6^ ^T^O^D^A^Y^ ^I^S^ ^S^U^N^D^A^Y

I ran out of suggestions as all the proposed formats work for me.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Raghav

0 Karma

jlvix1
Communicator

Thanks for that, slightly different to \s:

SEDCMD-replacespaces = s/()/^/g

I will give that a shot!

Cheers

0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

I just tried the following from search, which is pretty much a mimic in props without the """

|gentimes start=-1|eval Space="THIS  IS   A   TEST"|rex mode=sed field=Space "s/( )/^/g" and the output is 

THIS^^IS^^^A^^^TEST

One last try may be?

Thanks,
Raghav

0 Karma

jlvix1
Communicator

Hi, I'd imagine that will work here as well, though the search time stuff is a fairly different game to the indexing side?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...