Splunk Search

Repeated searches returning different number of results. Are there any logs that show if a search limit is reached or enforced?

dstaulcu
Builder

So the users of one of our denser source-types (XenDesktop) are complaining that they rarely get the same results for repeated searches. I have a feeling they are running up against limits. Is there any sort of logging for admins or notification to users when a search limit is enforced?

0 Karma

changux
Builder

Hi.
Do you have Splunk On Splunk (S.o.S) app? Maybe some of the debug information on it can be useful to prepare an alert.

Regards.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I think the most detail will be found in the search log for the individual searches. The easiest way to see this is to have your users run one of the suspect searches. Immediately after it completes, you should be able to find the search in the Jobs menu (assuming you are the Splunk admin). One of the options is "Inspect Job" - this gives you an overview of what happened in the search, the number of events returned, etc. At the bottom of the Search Job Inspector window, there should be a link to the search.log for the job, which will have even more information.

Also: View search job properties with Search Job Inspector will give you some good info about what you are seeing...

dstaulcu
Builder

Thanks for the input. I agree that this is the best place to go for analysis of searches but I do not see anything within this source types that indicate truncation occurred as a result of enforcement of limits. Am I missing something?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...