Splunk Search

Rename values extracted into field

gnovak
Builder

Can you rename values extracted into fields?

Example - Here is a field i have called "filename" and some examples of values that were extracted.

filename=statement.pdf
filename=invoice.pdf
filename=invoice.html

Can I rename (or trick) these values from the field filename to show up in a chart or table as:

statement.pdf ====> Billing Statement
invoice.pdf ===> Billing Invoice
invoice.html ===> Drilldown Invoice

I was looking at eval but so far haven't figured anything out yet.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

splunk_gs
Explorer

use eval
for example...

search whatever | eval Actual = case(filename = "statement.pdf","Billing Statement",filename = " invoice.pdf","Billing Invoice", filename = "invoice.html","Drilldown Invoice")

View solution in original post

ackoch
Explorer

Hrmm... I don't understand.

On my summary page, I have a source listed as "WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents" that I'd like to rename to "DC Security Logs"

Anyone able to help?

0 Karma

Michael
Contributor

Ya, I didn't get that either... I ended up simply using REX:

rex field=mount mode=sed "s/space/Splunk DB location/g"

This takes the value "space" in the mount field (this is a df output) and replaces the word "space" with "Splunk DB location".

splunk_gs
Explorer

use eval
for example...

search whatever | eval Actual = case(filename = "statement.pdf","Billing Statement",filename = " invoice.pdf","Billing Invoice", filename = "invoice.html","Drilldown Invoice")

gnovak
Builder

and for some reason Comments like to remove my *'s from my searches. Will post what i mean as an answer...

0 Karma

Michael
Contributor

Maybe I miss-understood the question, but this didn't work for me; but the "replace" command worked great. Reference here:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/7077/how-can-i-rename-the-host-names-for-my-chart.html

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

For some reason Scorecard won't show up w/ this search. sourcetype="EPPWEB" source="/opt/log//web_server/info.log" WAT | rex field=_raw "USER (?P[\d+-\w\w]) downloading ./(?.+?)$" | search filename=Invoice.pdf OR filename=Statement.pdf OR filename=text.txt OR filename=-.pdf NOT filename=-_.pdf | stats count by registrar, filename | eval Actual=case(filename="Statement.pdf","Billing Statement",filename="Invoice.pdf","Billing Invoice",filename="text.txt","Billing Text",filename="-*.pdf","Scorecard")

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

filename="-.pdf","Scorecard" is what I have at the end. I'm wondering if it's because of how it's defined earlier in the search with the NOT command?

0 Karma

splunk_gs
Explorer

haha yup eval can be used with just about anything...you can dig deeper by surrounding the eval with a coalesce for unknown values like coalesce(case(...),"unknown") and that will replace unknown definitions as "unknown"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...