Splunk Search

Removing fields vs. search performance

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm watching the Fundamentals 2 course (finally XD) and I've come across the search ending with something like: | sort -field | rename field2 as something_else | fields - field3
And the question is whether it would be a bit faster to first remove the field and then sort? Or is it the other way around? On the one hand - removing fields should give you less data to manipulate when sorting. On the other hand - I don't expect Splunk to physically rewrite each and every event on each pipe so it might not really matter at all.

Side question - let's assume we rewrite it into | search field2=something | fields - field3

In this case - is it better to first trim the event set and then remove field or first remove field and then trim?

Of course I know that probably it's completely insignificant compared to the time it takes to get the data from the indexes. But that's just me digging into the internals 😉

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

codebuilder
Influencer

You use "fields +" and "fields -" to include/ exclude fields. And yes, depending on the size of your event/field size it can have a significant impact on performance as it can reduce the amount of data. By default, the _raw field is returned in a general search, which contains the entire unparsed event. You can use "fields - _raw", for example, to eliminate that data and increase performance,. There are some tradeoffs of course.

Worth noting, "fields +" also excludes results. In that case your are telling Splunk to return only the fields listed.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

You use "fields +" and "fields -" to include/ exclude fields. And yes, depending on the size of your event/field size it can have a significant impact on performance as it can reduce the amount of data. By default, the _raw field is returned in a general search, which contains the entire unparsed event. You can use "fields - _raw", for example, to eliminate that data and increase performance,. There are some tradeoffs of course.

Worth noting, "fields +" also excludes results. In that case your are telling Splunk to return only the fields listed.

----
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, in general, it would be best to remove unneeded fields as soon as possible, right?

(of course it's always a trade-off between performance now and - for example - flexibility to modify your search later)

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Yes, that's correct. It's always best to eliminate data as early as possible, especially in events with many fields.

----
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...