Splunk Search

Remove host name in Account_Name field

Becherer
Explorer

When people RDP into a server, the results I am getting into splunk is Account_Name=Sever1$ Account_Name = jdoe.

When I try to display the data in a table it displays...
Account_Name:
Server1$
jdoe

I want to remove the "Server1$" from field.

One thing I will add, is this only happens sometime and not all of the time. Can there be a wildcard to remove anything before the "$".

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bmunson_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two ways to fix this. You could change the way the fields are extracted or you can filter them out at search time.
As these are representing machine accounts that may need to be traced at a later date, I would prefer not to stop splunk extracting them.
My preferred way of doing this is with an eval function in search.

| eval Account_Name=mvfilter(match(Account_Name, ".+[^$]$") )

This is using mvfilter to remove fields that don't match a regex. The regex is looking for .* meaning anything followed by [^$]meaning anything that is not a $ symbol then $ as an anchor meaning that must be the end of the field value.

View solution in original post

bmunson_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two ways to fix this. You could change the way the fields are extracted or you can filter them out at search time.
As these are representing machine accounts that may need to be traced at a later date, I would prefer not to stop splunk extracting them.
My preferred way of doing this is with an eval function in search.

| eval Account_Name=mvfilter(match(Account_Name, ".+[^$]$") )

This is using mvfilter to remove fields that don't match a regex. The regex is looking for .* meaning anything followed by [^$]meaning anything that is not a $ symbol then $ as an anchor meaning that must be the end of the field value.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...