Splunk Search

Regular expression in Splunk for extracting fields

Gowtham0809

I have some uneven stings and I need to extract a field from all the strings. Unique thing is the required field lies next to a common word in all the strings.

below are some some example for the strings

UTC Tue Jan 31 06:42:59 2017 [AE-214OX - 11.4.65.91] Anmelden bei Account Administrator
UTC Tue Jan 31 09:10:07 2017 [CB-Z0OaB - 11.4.65.91] Login for account abc2ab (abc2ab)
UTC Tue Jan 31 15:04:29 2017 [AE-214OX - 11.4.65.91] Anmeldeversuch für Account def3abc fehlgeschlagen
UTC Mon Feb 06 15:38:41 2017 [AE-214OX - 11.4.65.91] Failed login for account testuser

The above are few example strings. from which I need to extract the very next word, which lies next to account from all the all the strings.
Note: the word account lies in both upper and lower case.

Can some one help me with a regular expression to extract the field next to word account.

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

rjthibod
Champion

Try this to extract the value into a field called "accountid". This assumes the value you are trying to extract contains no spaces. You will need to clarify the expected value if it can contain spaces.

<YOUR BASE SEARCH>
| rex field=_raw "[A|a]ccount\s+(?<accountid>[^\s]+)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Try this to extract the value into a field called "accountid". This assumes the value you are trying to extract contains no spaces. You will need to clarify the expected value if it can contain spaces.

<YOUR BASE SEARCH>
| rex field=_raw "[A|a]ccount\s+(?<accountid>[^\s]+)"
0 Karma

Gowtham0809

Thank you, Its works as expected

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...